Jerk Chicken Ingredients:
We’ve given you our authentic Jerk marinade ingredients below:
- 8 chicken thighs or 4 medium chicken breasts
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 spring onion (finely chopped)
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme (stripped off stem)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon granulated brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pimento seeds (substitute: All Spice)
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 whole scotch bonnet
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ Cooking oil (of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of browning (optional)
- 1 whole lemon
- To create your jerk marinade, blend onions, garlic, spring onion, thyme, salt, sugar, pimento seeds (all spice), nutmeg, cinnamon, scotch bonnet, black pepper, soy sauce, cooking oil, white vinegar and browning until it reaches a coarse texture.
- Shortcut: If you don’t have time to make your own jerk marinade, we’d recommend using Walkerswood or Dunns River branded Jerk seasoning. Avoid using any Tropical Sun or Sea Isle products at all times.
- Clean your chicken by squeezing the juice of 1 whole lemon (or vinegar) on it.
- Top Tip: Using a sharp knife, poke small holes half way down into your meat to allow your marinade to penetrate quicker.
- Use 1 to 2 teaspoons of your jerk marinade to your chicken thighs or breasts.
- If you can, allow your chicken to marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. If not, allow at least 30 minutes to marinade in the fridge.
- Add your chicken, skin side up, to the oven or BBQ at 190C / 375F / Gas Mark 5
- For chicken thighs cook for 30 minutes, for chicken breast cook for 20 minutes.
- Chicken juices from cooked jerk chicken
- 1 tablespoon of chicken gravy granules
- 300ml hot water
- From your oven pan, save the residual jerk chicken juices and add to a saucepan, along with 300ml of hot boiling water.
- To a separate bowl, add 1 tablespoon of chicken gravy granules to a cup and add 100ml of boiling hot water then stir to granules have fully dissolved and thickened up.
- Add your gravy granule mixture to your saucepan containing your chicken juices and water.
- Bring to a boil until your jerk gravy has thickened up to a consistency you are happy with, then add to your cooked Jerk Chicken and enjoy!
Easy Rice & Peas Ingredients:
- 200g uncooked white rice
- 2 tin of kidney beans (including brine & water)
- 120ml coconut milk
- 350ml cold water
- 1 small white onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 1 scotch bonnet (whole)
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- Wash rice by hand for 2 to 3 minutes under warm water until the water runs clear.
- On a medium heat, add to a medium-sized saucepan your kidney beans (including brine & water), cold water, coconut milk, chopped onions, garlic, thyme, whole scotch bonnet and browning, then bring to a simmer.
- Add your washed rice to your kidney beans mixture and stir gently once or twice so the mixture is fully incorporated, then place the lid on top.
- Once your rice is added, bring to the boil then turn down to the lowest heat to simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the liquid has been fully absorbed into the rice and it is soft to taste.
- Remove the whole scotch bonnet from your rice being careful not to pierce it and serve with your Jerk Chicken.
Mango Salsa Ingredients:
- 1 fresh Mango (skin removed and chopped)
- ½ fresh lime
- 1 Red chillie (finely chopped)
- ½ red onion (diced)
- 3 salad tomatoes (chopped)
- Finely chop your red onion and chilli then add to a medium sized bowl
- Using a knife, peel the skin from your mango and chop into cubes then add to your bowl
- Chop your tomatoes and add to your bowl
- Slice a fresh lime and squeeze the juice into your mango salsa mixture, then stir till fully incorporated.
- Serve alongside your jerk chicken and rice and peas and enjoy!
Try 🍗 | Save 📱 | Snap 📸 | Share ➡️
Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Easy Rice & Peas Recipe