Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Shelf Life: 4 – 6 weeks refrigerated
Jamaican Jerk Marinade Ingredients:
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 spring onion (finely chopped)
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme (stripped off stem)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pimento seeds (substitute: All Spice)
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 whole scotch bonnet
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ Cooking oil (of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of gravy browning
- Add ingredients to a hand blender or machine blender till it forms a coarse paste-like consistency.
- Add to a to a clean jar and refrigerate for up to 4-6 weeks.
- Stir well before use and apply to foodstuffs
- Use 2 to 3 teaspoons per kilo of meat, fish or vegetables and for bases of curries.
Example: 1 average size chicken breast or salmon fillet would require ½ of jerk seasoning. Whole 2kg chicken would require 4 to 6 teaspoons of jerk seasoning. 1 pot of curry for 4 people would require 2 to 3 teaspoons of jerk seasoning.
- Leave your chosen protein to marinate for at least 1 to 2 hours. For maximum flavour marinate overnight.
Tips & Extras:
- Remove the seeds if you don’t want your jerk seasoning to be too hot
- For maximum flavour, use a griddle pan or BBQ. Oven roasting is also simple and easy.
- If you don’t have a blender add all your ingredients to a bowl and use the end of a rolling pin to bash together, incorporating the oil last.
Try our 4 Simple Food Recipes To Cook During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) UK lockdown recipe here.
For a social media feature, tag us your foodie post at @mydineuk
Use the hashtag #MyDineMyWay
View our Caribbean catering services for events, meetings and more here.