Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 300g self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 500ml semi-skimmed milk
- 50g unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 eggs (separate whites from yolks)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract or flavouring
Blueberry Compote Ingredients:
- 150g fresh Blueberries
- 20g soft brown sugar
- 20g granulated sugar
- 10ml lemon juice
- 40ml water
- 1 whole orange zest
Pancake Mix Method:
- In a large mixing bowl sift self-raising flour, sugar, baking powder (the dry ingredients) and stir.
Tip: Create a well (hole) in the middle of your dry ingredients.
- Add semi-skimmed milk to the well of your dry ingredients
- Melt butter in the microwave for 10 to 20 seconds, and stir until melted and add to your dry ingredients.
- Add vanilla extract to mixture
- Separate eggs yolks from whites, then add egg yolks to your dry ingredients well.
- Add your leftover egg whites to another separate mixing bowl
Tip: The easiest way to separate eggs is to crack the whole egg into your less dominant hand, and let the whites run through, leaving the remaining yolk, and add to a separate bowl.
- Using a mix ingredients until smooth and fully incorporated
- Whisk your egg whites in a separate bowl until white and stiff and tripled in size.
Test: The egg whites are ready to add when you can hold it above your head without the whites falling out.
- Fold your egg whites into your pancake mixture using a spatula to prevent air leaving your pancake mix
- In a non-stick frying pan add a teaspoon of oil to the pan on a medium/low heat.
- Add your pancake mix to the frying pan, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Tip: Wait till you see bubbles appear and pop on the surface of your pancake and the edges become dry enough to flip. Flip your pancake (which should be golden brown) and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on the other side.
Blueberry Compote Method:
- Wash and dry the blueberries.
- Add blueberries, orange zest and lemon juice, water and sugars to a saucepan and cook over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes until blueberries are wilted, soft and wilted in size.
- Turn of the heat and add a small handful of fresh blueberries to your compote.
Tips & Extras:
- To cut through the sweetness of your pancakes and blueberry compote, add a scoop of natural yoghurt
- Leftover pancakes for breakfast – simply cook bacon, fry an egg, reheat pancakes in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds and add honey or maple syrup and butter.
For a social media feature, tag us your foodie post at @mydineuk
Use the hashtag #MyDineMyWay
View our catering services for events, meetings and more here.